Getting off the ground

Hello, world.

The moment we’ve all been waiting for: the WordPress Foundation is now public. As they say, slow cookin’ makes good eatin’.

We finally have all our ducks in a row, proper tax status, and the beginnings of a non-profit mission to work toward.

So, welcome! Please have a look around the site to learn a bit about what this first iteration is going to set out to do. If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments and I’ll do my best to answer them — but read all the pages on the site first. :)

This entry was posted in Announcements. Bookmark the permalink.

150 Responses to Getting off the ground

1. Alex Leonard says:

Congrats! Interested to see what the plan is for the Foundation.

2. slkry says:

Congrats !!!!!

3. Tim says:

Hello Matt and team. As an eager follower I am excited to see the ducks as they come rolling out. This is a radical initiative — I love it! The way I see it the WordPress Foundation is in line with and empowers the current revolution in communication.

Wishing this initiative the best! Happy New Decade!!

4. Pingback: WordPress Foundation Launched – Alex Leonard’s Blog

5. Len says:

This is a long time in coming. Congratulations!

6. I was wondering about the WordPress logo. WordCamps readily use the logo for creating t-shirts, posters, etc. Will you post some guidelines about the copyrights and rules regarding the use of the logo?

Also, maybe WordPress Foundation could provide grants for schools or non-profit organizations to fund the migration of their current site, or the creation of a new site, in WordPress?

• The best guideline for the logo right now is if you’re not sure, to ask. We explicitly permit WordCamps to use and abuse the logo as long as they fall within the guidelines and philosophies of what WordCamp is.

Good idea on the grants.

7. mutaati0 says:

This is a great move! I think it would be interesting to see a blog post about what is the connection/hierarchy between the for-profit WordPress.com and this new WordPress Foundation.

• Sure, as a quick summary: they’re completely separate, but share a similar name and my involvement. One is for-profit, the other non-profit. They both have similar goals in terms, but the Foundation can take a long-term multi-decade approach to solving these problems without regard for short term profit, market conditions, or shareholders. I’ve always had a vision for two simultaneous approaches to the WordPress way, the heart and the mind, but it’s just now coming together.

• Malte says:

Well good you waited to found the long-term multi-decade approach _after_ you merge in so much code from the MU project that short term profit from wordpress.com can go on unhindered while being backed up by the foundation. Nice made move, respect.

• I’m not sure if I understand — we’re bringing MU in Core because it’ll become a lot better as a result. It has been relatively neglected when compared to core and we want to bring it up to WP standards and open up MU functionality to a much wider audience as just another feature of WordPress. The merge is ongoing, however, and if you’d like to help out please join in the discussion on Trac.

8. Will this Foundation be responsible for the long-term viability of the multiuser blog that so many of us share: http://wordpress.com/ ?

In other words, will this Foundation ensure that wordpress.com posts will be there forever? I have speculated about this issue before.

9. Hikari says:

Great, very interesting! :D

Indeed, as FireFox made web more accessible for reading, WordPress made web more accessible for writing.

There is no best content generically publishing structure than blog structure, and WordPress is the best, most simple and most free and open content management and publishing system ever made!

WordPress is quickly grown as the first CMS option for most scenarios, and in next years I believe it will be the best for practically any specific need.

It is really nice to see that it will now be maintained by a foundation (and not a corporation or a few named persons).

BTW, gratz for having wordpressfoundation.org already running on beta 3.0 with the new 2010 theme ;)

10. Will says:

First post, first comment?

What’s up with the header graphic and references to Toronto and Fukoka? just curious.

11. Matthew says:

The theme looks nice… can’t wait for WordPress 3.0!

12. Tegar says:

Go open source go!

13. Yojance says:

I’m glad WordPress is doing this. You guys do an amazing job with WordPress and the community loves and support this project like no other.

14. Amirul Faisyal says:

Hello, Matt,

It’s great to hear that another noble effort was launched.

Congratulations for this launch, Matt!

15. Saad Bassi says:

A much waited Moment. Its here. The WordPress foundation. Another great initiative by Matt Mullenweg

16. Jeff Manes says:

Congrats on launching the Foundation. Considering the size and quality of membership of the WordPress community, only great things can be expected to come from the project.

17. paul says:

Great work guys! After being a WP user for many years now- it is great to see how much you have developed. All the best in 2010 and beyond!

18. Very curious to see what’ll come of this Matt, but my gut feeling is that this is another step in the right direction. Congrats!!

19. Jorge Fiffe says:

Congratulations Matt and The WP Foundation Team!

It’s nice to know that you are thinking of such efforts on behalf of the WordPress community. Now if only some nonprofits could figure out how to leverage WP a little better than we do, we’d be off to a great start.

Best wishes!

20. Marco says:

Well done! Just this sentence makes me want to learn more and more about the Code that builds this house call WordPress:

stable platform for web publishing for generations to come.

All the best.

21. We are happy now. The site is nice. Theme really rocks. Thanks all. Great WordPress.

22. Pingback: The WordPress Foundation

23. Mark Mathson says:

This is why I love WordPress. You, it, the community, care about the greater good.

24. ben says:

Great news for WordPress!
    Thanks for the greatest software on the web.

25. Robin Monroe says:

Congratulations Matt and all! What you are doing with WordPress is a beautiful thing! You have changed so much for businesses — large and small, for profit, and non-profit. Thank you for the contribution your work makes every day in the lives of people around the world.

26. TJ says:

Nice work Matt and Jane! Love seeing this kind of stuff going on.

27. Hirvesh says:

Congrats for the new website launch! I hope it succeeds widely in its mission!

28. Peter Duke says:

Given the turn in MySQLs status this week, and WPs interdependance, how does that effect “stable platform for web publishing for generations to come”

Thanks for all you do!

29. Ryan says:

I thought the WordPress foundation was going to be the organisation running WordPress.org.

Or is that part of this sites job, running the other site?

• No plans for that currently, though it is a possibility someday but for now it’s easiest to have the website separate and on its current path. The Foundation is going to focus largely this year on education and dissemination of the best learning material.

• Doug says:

Is the learning material related to some of the cool ideas about a developer portal kicked around on wp-hackers last month?

30. Pingback: WordPress基金会网站上线 « 每日IT新闻,最新IT资讯,聚合多站点消息,保证你与世界同步

31. Soren B. Andersen says:

Very exciting and congratulations on the launch! Good news for all WordPress users.

I can see that I should take a closer look at some of the projects being run. BuddyPress and bbPress sounds useful to me.

32. Congratulations and best of luck!

WordPress changed my world, and now it is set to change THE world!

33. 阳光不锈 says:

This is wonderful!

34. Cyrille Tuzi says:

Very good initiative, good luck to the foundation!

35. Joseph Dowdy says:

Congrats and thank you!

My primary income is from WordPress work, so kudos to you for helping creators/families everywhere.

36. Happy to see this taking off and I got a bunch of questions. (The answers to the questions will probably come in due course but I’m impatient =)

1) Any plans to make all the people involved at decision level with the foundation and their role public?
    1a) Will documentation of decisions, meetings be made public and easily accessible?

2) You write that you will support projects and ensure that stuff lives on.
    2a) Who decides what gets support and what does that mean exactly?
    2b) Which projects are suppose to be “owned”, if any, by the foundation?
    2c) What will the foundation control, if anything, in terms of projects? Projectroles, websites, servers etc.
    2d) Will the foundation put up any rules for openness of the organization and decisions in the projects it decides to support?

That was all for now. More questions are sure to arise as more news are published.

• All good questions! Look for more in future blog posts, but the short answer is that the Foundation is a contributing organization, not a governance organization. “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.” Because of the bureaucracy inherit in a non-profit, we’re trying to keep the Foundation narrow and laser-focused on a few key areas where it can have a major impact. Direction ais being driven by me, and will be probably until I get old and/or senile.

37. Hyder says:

Congrats on getting off the ground! Looking forward to a whole lot of WordPress in the future.

38. Freeman says:

WordPress基金会的成立, 让WP用户有了稳定的保障.

39. 创意无限 says:

All the best wishes to WORDPRESS, I love it!

40. Pingback: Lancement de la Fondation WordPress | WordPress Francophone

41. Colin Ross says:

I wish you all the best in this endeavour.

WordPress is an invaluable tool for so many project on the web nowadays, it is honestly difficult to imagine the web without it.

I am pleased to see you laying down a solid foundation to allow future generations to benefit as we have been able to.

42. Pingback: WordPress基金会网站上线 : NetNe.COM

43. Sway says:

Congratulations Matt!

Look foward to hearing more about the Foundation and how it will make a difference in growing the WordPress community!

I saw you for the first time in person at the Orlando WordCamp at Rollins College.

44. Great and important mission that needs a high-powered advocate such as yourself and WordPress. I think what we’ve seen from Google’s “new China approach” entrepreneurs and businesses can make a difference. I would like to do my part by staying up to date with any and all developments. Will there be a way to get automated notices of news, projects, or blog posts.

45. Eats Wombats says:

Congratulations!

This is a terrific development.

46. “The software should provide a framework for translation to make it globally accessible to speakers of all languages.”

I love this point number 5 of your philosophy.

Said speakers — and I am one of them — will thank you with translations.

Thank you so much for drawing developers’ attention to the fact that not everybody is born speaking English.

47. Exciting news and an ambitious task, for sure. The link for Buddy Press on the Projects tab doesn’t seem to work, though.

Best wishes for the new foundation.

48. Utahcon says:

Woot! I am stoked to see this. This is freaking genius. A non-profit with the goal or preserving the code for future generations. You are a true testament to the FOSS movement.

Comments are closed.