Money raised by the WordPress Foundation will be used to ensure free access to supported software projects, protect the WordPress trademark, and fund a variety of programs. These programs are educational in nature and intended to increase understanding about WordPress, free software, and open source development.
Some programs under consideration for funding include:
- Video recording of WordCamp and meetup group presentations
- Intro to Open Source workshops, spreading knowledge and understanding of the open web and open source in parts of the world with less participation in open source
- Charity hackathons, in which volunteers come together to build websites for non-profit organizations
- Live and/or video workshops on how to use and develop for WordPress
- School mentorship programs to encourage interest in WordPress/open source development
- Improving documentation about how to use and develop for WordPress
The WordPress Foundation is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization and has no full-time employees or people on salary.
Donors who sign up for any of the four subscription plans listed above will be included on our new Donors page (starting January 2018, and updated monthly) and enjoy the warm feeling of helping support education programs about WordPress and open source.