Matt Mullenweg, the director of the WordPress Foundation, has been directly involved in the creation of, or coordination of volunteers around, a number of WordPress projects that espouse the core philosophy:
- WordPress, freely available GPL blogging software with about 143,000 lines of code representing about 33 man-years of development. WordPress is available in 23 languages and has been downloaded about 18,000,000 times in 2009.
- WordPress Plugins, a repository of over 24,000 freely available plugins representing about as many volunteers. These plugins have received over 434 million downloads we know about.
- WordPress Themes, over 1,700 free GPL-licensed design and themes for WordPress that have received over 67 million downloads.
- bbPress, open source forum software built on the same backbone as WordPress.
- BuddyPress, a new project that allows anyone to create a social network on purely Free Software.
The source code for all of the above is freely available for any use to anyone in the world via the links above.