Giving Tuesday is a global, non-profit movement that encourages people, organizations, and companies around the world to give, collaborate and celebrate generosity.
Hosted on the first Tuesday following Thanksgiving in the United States, this year the charitable giving event will be taking place on November 30, 2021.
With Giving Tuesday around the corner, many in the world are thinking about giving back. If you’re one of them, consider this opportunity to give back to open source.
2021 and the pandemic brought a lot of changes to the world, including the open source community. And the year wasn’t without its challenges.
Open source developers worldwide still face roadblocks, from “lack of training opportunities” to “getting management buy-in for open source.”
This is why the WordPress Foundation exists.
How does the WordPress Foundation support open source?
As a non-profit organization, our work is to ensure that open source software gets the support it needs. The funds we raise go toward ensuring free access to the projects we promote, protecting the WordPress trademark, and funding multiple programs aligned with our mission.
Some of the programs the WordPress Foundation supports include:
- Video documentation of WordCamp and WordPress meetup events.
- “Intro to Open Source” workshops that increase awareness and understanding of the open web and open source in regions around the world that have relatively less participation.
- Charity hackathons where developers come together and volunteer to build websites for nonprofit organizations around the world.
- Workshops, both live and recorded, on how to use and develop for the WordPress platform.
- School mentorship programs to encourage interest in WordPress and open source development from a young age.
- Improving documentation about how to use and develop for, and contribute to the WordPress project.
But this is just the beginning. With your help, we can strengthen our support for these programs and fund many more exciting open source projects.
How can you help this Giving Tuesday?
The future is open source, and whether you’re a believer or part of the open source community, you can play a part in helping build this foundation for generations to come.
This Giving Tuesday, consider donating to the WordPress Foundation so we can work together toward a future that’s built on open source.
You can choose to donate annually or make a one-time donation. Every gift counts!
Thank you for supporting our mission!